Sunday, November 25, 2007

Squash braid

I made bread for Thanksgiving dinner...a 100% whole wheat and squash braid!

Before cooking...
And ready to eat:


I found the recipe here, and followed a tip from the first review on using whole wheat flour. Though I'd never heard of it before, there is "white whole wheat flour" (100% of the wheat germ and bran), so as she suggested, I substituted 1/2 white whole wheat and 1/2 traditional whole wheat flower for the all-purpose flour in the recipe. Healthy and tasty!


Oh, except it was extra good with a bunch of butter on top! So long, healthy...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful braid!

I made buttenut squash with cumin couscous as my Thanksgiving dish.

did you scream like I did when peeling the butternut squash? some of my fingernails are a little shorter now. Any hints to pass on for next time?

It was in last year's Real Simple Thanksgiving edition. Except I made it more like a casserole. Not sure how to embed a link, but here it is:

http://food.realsimple.com/realsimple/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1548736

Jen said...

Ooh...I think I just read about tomorrow's dinner :) Thanks for the link! As for peeling: potato peeler!!

Anonymous said...

My potato peeler couldn't touch the hard rind. It caused me to say things I really shouldn't have.

It has great flavor. Anthony even liked it, which says a lot since there are no meat or potatoes in the dish.

I did increase some of the spices in the recipe. I like to taste the cinnamon and nutmeg, and I didn't think 1/8 tsp would cut it.

Kelley said...

That braid looks gorgeous. I'll have to try it out after cooking becomes fun again. :)

It's great to "see" you, Erin.