...Dan found out today that his pay has just been cut by 30%, effective as of last Monday!
So we're re-evaluating our expenses, cutting out things like the newspaper and the house phone, getting quotes on insurance, etc.
It makes for a really fun pre-baby gift, that's for sure...but on the bright side, he still has a job and we're all healthy. Dan and I have always been "go with the flow" or "it all happens for a reason" folks, so we're trying to approach this in the same way. We are happy that this job brought us to Arizona, and figure that alone has made it worthwhile. Without this position, I would not have my amazing circle of friends; my birth networks; my midwifery apprenticeship; free Montessori education for the kids; no ice scraping.
We have also been lazy with budgeting and saving, so while we won't saving anything now, at least it will force the budget-keeping and true thriftiness to finally get put into play. See, there's a bright side to everything...right?
Sigh.
6 comments:
Yikes! Well (and this is the Minnesotan in me speaking) I am glad that at least he still has a job. Eric's next younger brother lost his job about 2 months ago. He has 5 kids and is super stressed about how they are going to survive. He was working at some high-tech company (something to do with silicon wafers) and he has a degree in electrical engineering. So far he hasn't had any luck finding another job...anyway it's just a tough time all around. I really hope that there is no other bad news relating to Dan's job.
This could be a good opportunity to teach your girls a bit more about family finances and budgeting. You could show them how much you make in a month (maybe represent every $100 with a poker chip or colored block or something) and then show them where you spend your money and talk about how you could try to cut down on certain categories, etc.
Well, I'm thinking of you and hope this isn't too stressful...keep us updated on any new thrifty tips and ideas you come up with!
Sorry mama! We have had to learn a lot about budgeting and becoming thriftier. We kinda suck, but are getting better at it. Being students, you'd think we would have learned sooner!
P.S. I love the pic of you with L on your back!
Man, I'm sorry. I'm glad he still has a job though. It's been over 6 months, and Jon still hasn't found anything. We're surviving, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody, especially not on you about to have a baby. Hang in there.
Ugh, sorry you too have been hit.
It's good you can still make ends meet, and especially that Dan still has his job at least. These are really anxiety producing times.
I already cut everything back when I took the 50% paycut last year... all I have left is a two-part coping stategy: hope for a recovery in about two years, and be so lucky as not to be affected in the interim. Smart, eh?
I've been musing about the cultural differences in how we vs. the French experience this. I just heard a U.S. commentator gloat about what a great time this is for people to reevaluate family budgets, etc. Hm. Americans can feel free to make lemonade out of this lemon of an economy. Meanwhile the French feel free to take to the streets in protest that workers didn't create the crisis, so why should they pay for it by accepting layoffs. Hmm. I'm not at all saying one approach is better than the other, but the difference is intriguing to me!
Yikes! Last Monday?!?!? What ever happened to good communication? Good luck, and I'm going to second Rixa's motion to share your thrifty tips as you come up with them.
Take care friend. You're looking beautiful! And the picture with Baby L on your back, E smiling, and Baby 4 on the way just confirms to me that you can find a solution to everything!
Thanks everybody! I knew you would all understand, as many of you are or know folks in similar positions...dang economy...but somehow we'll all make it through, and come out all the stronger and wiser (I hope) on the other end. And...don't hold your breath for thrifty tips LOL. But if you have some really tasty cheap-o dinner recipes to share, please do :)
Post a Comment