Saturday, January 17, 2009

Smooth as Silk

I just got home from a quick, simple, peaceful water birth. Mama was a primip, 18 years old. Tiny, beautiful baby boy was born 17 minutes after we arrived, in the water and IN THE CAUL! He was 5lb 13 oz, 20 inches...which compared to that last baby (9-13!) was minuscule LOL.

Got a call at 5:30 from the midwife, was picked up maybe 20 minutes after that...we picked up the other student (N), and headed to the birth place (not the mama's home - the home of a very generous, wonderful doula and member of our extended birth team).

It was such a blessing to witness this calm, beautiful birth. Sadly the father of baby is in another country, and was not here to see his son's birth...

5 comments:

Kelley said...

How nice to have a peaceful one after the emotion-filled, scary birth last time.

What would it be like to hold a baby that small? All of mine have been much bigger than that. I'd be afraid of breaking him.

Anonymous said...

It really is a blessing to witness an uncomplicated "easy" birth. Congratulations to mama and baby boy, and you, too. How much longer are you going to attend births?

Jen said...

I have a friend due any day whose birth I may attend, but only to help her or watch her son - not as an assistant. Then we have one more mama who is due 2 weeks before I am, and I'm planning on being there for it. After that, I'll definitely be off for March and April, but may start doing prenatals again sometime in April? And depending on timing, I may try to hit a couple births in May...but those will really just depend on circumstances. Officially, I will be attending births again in September.

As for holding the little guy - it was *such* a good birth, I never actually did! Baby stayed with mama and g-ma, and the S (the mw) did the newborn exam...that was it :)

Harshes said...

That is a wonderful, sweet birth story. Thank you for sharing!

Judit said...

How wonderful for that very young new mom. She got an incredibly good start for a very tough journey ahead of her! Looks like she does have a good support system. Will you be in touch with her in the future?