Thursday, June 18, 2009

Green smoothies and other uses for the Vita-Mix

I have been on a Vita-Mix kick recently! Below are the things I've made in the last few days.


Breakfast this morning: bunch of kale, 2 whole green apples, 1 banana, 2 peaches, some almond milk pulp (more on this below), OJ, and a splash of honey. I actually make a "green smoothie" every morning, but typically I go lighter on the greens and add a little more fruit...I just felt like going super-green today. A typical smoothie would include about a half-bunch of some kind of green (kale, spinach, romaine), blueberries, banana, and whatever else needs to be consumed (mango, apple, orange, strawberry, etc.). I usually add no sweetener (just wanted to offset my whole bunch of kale a little today), and usually use water as the base, not juice...but we happen to have fresh OJ taunting me from the fridge! Can I just say, it makes me SO happy to see my two-year-old (and the girls too) slurping down copious portions of these concoctions!

Almond milk: almonds, water, and a splash of vanilla. It turned out great, but a little thick, so I strained it through cheesecloth. This "pulp" is now being added to other recipes as a little nutritive boost.

Coffee freeze: almond milk, coffee, ice, vanilla and honey. Who needs Starbucks?

Strawberry ice cream: raw goat milk, whole frozen strawberries, sugar, and a splash of vanilla. It was AMAZING. So much better than anything store-bought, and it was Liam-friendly (no cow dairy)!

Peanut butter: peanuts! So flavorful!

Moroccan lentil soup: from the Vita-Mix book...this recipe. I even used home-made chicken broth D made. The only thing I didn't have was raisins, which I'm sure would add a nice sweet to the soup. I thought it was quite good, though the consistency the next day was pretty funny...

1 comment:

Kelley said...

That all sounds awesome! I'd love to get a Vita-Mix someday because of all the great things it can do.

Master OP is adorable! And he looks just like your other kids. :)