I'm a little late getting on board this one, but here's a lovely situation in Ohio where a daycare center is trying to charge $50 a week MORE to a mother who is breastfeeding her child (because handling the "biohazardous material" is soooo much more work?!?!). If that link doesn't work, go here and into the February 2007 archives for "City Kids Daycare Chain..." entry date Feb. 23.
And on top of that, for you readers who don't also follow Rixa's blog, here's a shamelessly stolen opinion piece she discovered. I highly recommend hopping over to her site to read her entry if you're interested in more.
I am simply baffled that so many Americans still take issue with (a) the use of a woman's breasts to feed her child, and (b) with the actual substance (milk) that comes from them. Nobody seems to have a problem drinking the same product from a COW's udder. Same thing...except at least coming from a human, it's species-appropriate. Sigh.
2 comments:
I can appreciate that some people are uncomfortable with my naked breast so I try to nurse discretely, just to be a good citizen, but what I don't understand is when people get all riled up when they can't even SEE anything, when the baby is completely hidden under a blanket or my jacket. Are they so uptight that they're driven mad by just the IDEA that SOMEWHERE IN THIS RESTAURANT A NIPPLE IS BEING SUCKED ON RIGHT NOW??
LOL. I think the thought that somewhere in the WORLD a nipple is being sucked on bugs a lot of people...
Post a Comment