While I can't vouch for it, a quick google search seems to point to the fact that this is, indeed the correct quote. I found it on SageFemme's blog...
"The first intervention in birth that a healthy woman takes is when she walks out the front door of her home in labor. From that first intervention all others will follow."
-Michael Rosenthal, OB/GYN
Now D and I just had a little chat about this, as he pointed out that really the first intervention occurs waaaay back at the beginning of pregnancy, when a woman makes that first call...to "find out" if she's pregnant.
I'll give the good doc credit. His quote does read "birth" not "pregnancy." However, I agree that an intervention occurs with the initial medicalization of pregnancy, leading to all other interventions...the tests, the questioning, the shifting of control...and ultimately, walking out that door.
There are my thoughts for the night.
1 comment:
Oh, yes. I just read the article in my bulk Mothering Mag. Article on birthing in Holland mentions there is no testing for pregnancy at the midwife's office. Mama knows. Sad to say most every woman here is set up to start doubting her innate wisdom and thus steps into the cascade of interventions in that first office visit by waiting for confirmation from her provider.
Post a Comment