Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My first post-OPB birth

April 29, in the evening, I attended a birth...and in my slacker haze, I never posted it! This mama lives very close by us, so I had arranged to attend as the assistant's assistant basically. I wanted the ability to go nurse OP if need be, and the experience to see how it would work out.

Around 7 p.m. I headed over to their house; S (midwife) was already there, and N (assistant) was just moments behind me. Mom labored in her room with the help of a doula and her supportive husband. We checked in occasionally, but pretty much stayed out in the living room. Close to 11, mom started pushing on the birth stool, and out came a perfect little boy. He did make a grand entrance by virtue of coming at 42 weeks on the dot! Congratulations to the whole family :)

As for my crew, OP did just fine without me - he was sleeping when I left and did wake up, but took milk from daddy no problem...the only bad part was he didn't go back to sleep! I returned home around 2 a.m. to a very tired husband who had to get up two hours later for work...

For the record, he has since stayed home with daddy and gone back to sleep just fine, so we're hoping for the near future it won't be a big issue...(lots of births coming up soon!)

1 comment:

Rixa said...

I'm glad he was able to do okay without you. I always love reading about the births you attend!