I apologize these birth stories are quick versions...but you'll see it was a long weekend and I don't have the energy to write out more elaborate stories at this point.
Friday, we got called out around 3 in the afternoon. After some creative child shuffling, I headed out to J's house. S (the midwife) was already there, and mama was in active labor in the tub when I arrived. Mom labored like a rock star, chatting between contractions and denying that she was anywhere close to holding her baby (ha!). Within an hour, her vocalizations changed and she began pushing...at this point, I was put in the role of "the midwife," so I donned my sterile gloves (didn't want to be rushing at the last minute or having sweaty palms trying to get them on!) and crouched in front of the tub to wait. Her water broke during a pushing contraction, and six minutes later, the baby was born...into MY hands! What an incredible gift, and how sad that so few ever have the privilege to experience it. This little guy weighed in at 9 lb 6 oz.
We went out to dinner and coffee; I got home around 10 p.m. I knew at this point another mama was having some contractions, but wasn't ready for us yet. I headed to bed around 11:15, and was woken at 11:40 by the phone and S saying it was time to go...this mama (a primip, or first-timer) was laboring in the tub with her husband and doula. Within a couple hours, she was pushing, and her baby girl came sliding into the water just before 3 a.m. on Saturday, weighing 8 lb 1 oz.
Now the third birth...Mama was having some health issues at 32 weeks that indicated checking in to the hospital. She went in on Sunday afternoon and the staff was unable to find a heartbeat. Ultrasound confirmed that their baby girl was no longer alive. A C-section was performed, and the most gorgeous, precious little girl was born sleeping, weighing 2 lb 8 oz. There were no obvious signs of problems, nothing discernible on the pathology report. Baby B was greatly loved, and will be missed.
1 comment:
Wow, what a busy weekend. I am sorry to hear about the third mama. I'm curious about the reason for the c/s--did the doctors think that an induction wouldn't work at this point? Other health issues necessitating a delivery ASAP even though the baby had passed?
Post a Comment