I found a great program today for C! She's starting on Thursday, and will attend twice a week (Tues, Thurs). The curriculum is more our style than most - very hands-on, child-centered, free-play style. No workbooks and drills! I have to admit my favorite part though is the playground! It's kind of like a yuppified Tim's (for you IC readers). They call it an "adventure playground," and there's no park-like climbing structure. Rather, there are huge sand pits, places to drive trikes and pedal cars, a garden, buried tires for climbing, and more! I love it! More importantly, C can't wait to start :) E is on the waiting list...sadly there are no open spots right now for her age. The school also offers a summer session, in which both girls will be enrolled. Yippee :)
Off to get my eyes checked so I can get new glasses - I lost my sunglass clips (the only ones I have), and I'm dying in this sunshine!!
2 comments:
So, how did the first day of preschool go???
Did you actually see preschools that do use workbooks and drills? How bizarre.
Reminds me of the K grade at our district PS. All the kids must be READING by the end of the year. Or else they get held back from 1st grade! They 'achieve' this with LOTS of classroom style instruction, to the detriment of playing and outside time. Ugh.
A good friend's 2nd grader was transferred into this school just last September, and already there's talk of holding her back, b/c she's 'only' at grade level reading while her classmates are at 4-5th grade level. The poor kid is devastated!!! How awful is that? I can't see how those test scores can possibly be worth it.
OK, workbooks and drills might be a slight exaggeration - but the focus on straight academics seems so predominant in many programs. I much prefer the developmentally appropriate, "play" style myself.
Post a Comment