Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sad news about a friend

I just found out that one of the women in my AP Meetup group has breast cancer. She is a mom to two kids, ages 3 and 1.5, and is newly pregnant as well...possibly with twins. Here's her update:

So, I have breast cancer. Invasive ductile carcinoma. In two weeks, I will have a "modified radical mastectomy"...After the mastectomy, they will know what stage I am in. The stage I am in will determine how much chemotherapy that I will undergo. If I wasn't pregnant they would do both breasts, but my surgeon and OB is worried that would be too much surgery for the babies. They are waiting two weeks for the surgery since at that point, I will be 6 weeks pregnant (once you get to 6 weeks, the risk of miscarriage drops). So much for my VBAC...Dr. A is referring me to a high-risk OB. No one is pressuring me to terminate the pregnancy (which I am happy about...I will not do it.) Apparently, it is the trend these days to try to treat the cancer "around the pregnancy" in order to save the baby's life. I will most likely have a super early c-section...as early as possible. Good thing the babies will be born at [certain hospital]...since they have the fancy NICU.

So...if you are of the praying type, please include my friend and her family in your prayers. They're going to need them.
:(

ETA: I just found out, she got the diagnosis one day after her 26th birthday.

4 comments:

RawMilkStar said...

Oh dear, this is very sad to hear. :-( Too many sad things. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Danielle said...

I will pray for your friend in her very delicate situation -- that she would be at peace, filled with supernatural strength to care for her children, and most of all that God would heal her body and protect the baby(s. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for this courageous woman and her family. Please let me know her name, as well as her kids', as I think it helps when I can pray very specifically. Please keep us posted as her situation becomes more clear. My love to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. How incredibly sad. I hope one of our non-TV'd, non-circ'd, bf'd kids comes up with a cure for cancer. (I don't mean that in any sort of snarky way.)