Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I guess it's official now.

I met with my friend and Licensed Midwife (that's one person LOL), S the other day. I have agreed to begin as her Jr. Midwifery Student in the fall! Since she's having a baby any day now, her client load will be very light - which is the only way I can even pretend to make it work right now.

Right away, I will be doing everything with S: attending prenatals two days a week, paperwork, blood draws, 36-week home visits, and attending births...pretty much trial by fire! We'll also spend time going over skills, I will be reading and memorizing and practicing what I can...

It is so surreal to me...and a little daunting, to be honest. Thing is, D does not have a flexible job, and we have three kids! I figure I can make it work, since the prenatals are on regularly scheduled days, and home visits have a 2-week warning. The girls will both be in school, and there is an after school program available. I will arrange something for Baby L, and D will pick the girls up if need be...

However, the births of course don't come on a pre-determined schedule! So...yeah. That's where I'm trying to figure something out. The other big problem is that we only have one car! Well, D has a work truck he uses, but it doesn't fit the three kids (besides the fact it's a WORK truck, not a cart-the-family-around truck). So...if I'm at a birth, he can't even go pick up the kids from other places! I HAVE to find someone who can come to the house for Baby L. Or I have to buy a small car. Ha ha ha ha

Anyway, that's the big news from here. Wish me tons of luck - with the arrangements in particular!

5 comments:

RawMilkStar said...

Congratulations!!! My goodness, I would think Baby L should be the least of your concerns. What more baby friendly employment could there be? I bet most pregnant ladies would love the idea that you can bring your baby to work with you! And he's SUCH a cutie. I know he's been a little grumpy lately, but I'm sure it would be okay to bring him along at least some of the time. Hopefully you can find a couple of different sources in your neighborhood. Maybe a retired lady or a stay at home mom who are home all the time anyway. I know you will do wonderful!! Just remember that birth bond! I learned from my sisters' midwives - don't hold the newborn too much and gaze into his or her eyes or you will begin to bond and can feel sadness after the birth is over. Hugs.

JustALittleBit_Me said...

You are going to be an AWESOME midwife! I am so excited and proud! You will learn so much from your preceptor, she is da bomb (everyone knows that!). If you ever need anyone to bounce ideas off or role play with, I'm here for you. Also, keep me in mind for childcare, since I will be home all day with Baby C when the girls are in school in the fall. Don't worry, it WILL work!

Rixa said...

What an exciting step in your life! I am sure you'll figure out the logistics. It sounds like a nice slow start to midwifing, just perfect for you right now.

Have you got to know some of the people in your immediate neighborhood? I thought you said there were lots of young families there--perhaps someone close by could agree to help out with L when you're called away to a birth.

Anonymous said...

ooh, ooh, ooh, I'm so excited for you! Be patient, be open, and all things will fall into place for you.

Unknown said...

Thats fantastic, Jen, you are going to be awesome!